Vietnam strongly condemns human trafficking after the refrigerator truck disaster in Britain
Vietnam strongly condemns human trafficking after the refrigerator truck disaster in Britain

Vietnam on Saturday strongly condemned human trafficking, a day after British police said 39 people were found dead in a truck last week, most likely Vietnamese.

Most of the victims are believed to be from central Vietnam, where it is easy to find intermediaries who sometimes arrange trips to Europe via Russia for migrants seeking work and earning money abroad.

The enormous dangers of the flights were revealed after the bodies of eight women and 31 men were found in a refrigerated truck in Essex, east London, on October 23.

Two people were arrested in Vietnam's central province of Ha Tinh on Friday for human trafficking, while British police were searching for other suspects.

Vietnam said Saturday it "strongly condemns trafficking in human beings and considers this a serious crime," according to a statement by Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Thi Thu Hang.

The spokeswoman described the incident as a "serious human tragedy" and called for help to stop the phenomenon.

"Vietnam calls on countries in the region and around the world to intensify cooperation in the fight against human trafficking to prevent the recurrence of such a catastrophe."

Officials are now working to identify the victims after collecting DNA samples from families in the two provinces of Ha Tinh and Nghe An in central Vietnam.

The disaster has shaken public opinion in Britain and sank families in remote Vietnamese villages in grief.

It also highlighted sophisticated smuggling and human trafficking networks that help smuggle migrants to Britain.

Also on the back of the Essex truck, 24 Vietnamese families are searching for the missing

The 25-year-old Northern Irish truck driver was charged with manslaughter, money laundering and collusion to help illegal immigration.
In Dublin, another Northern Irish man appeared before the Irish Supreme Court to begin extradition proceedings to Britain over the incident.

Police also said they wanted to talk to brothers Ronan and Christopher Hughes, owners of the Northern Ireland transport service.

Three other people were arrested and released on bail.